Saturday, October 26, 2013

Elizabeth Tait SS Ch. 9 Summary

Summary: Smith's 6th invention, Getting High, is about extending the vocal range.  The exercises extends an octave and a third, and its purpose is to train the voice to naturally transition between registers without conscious effort.  If the airflow is consistent and healthy, the voice will naturally switch from greater speech in the lower range and greater airflow in the upper range.  We will sense the shift occuring, but it won't be of our own doing.  However, the switch is not audible; the sound stays consistent throughout the range.  And when the voice is truly free, the shifts happen on each individual note.  
Key Terms:
gears
messa di voce
flute voice
whistle tone
Key Concepts: When airflow is operating properly, switching registers will require no conscience effort on our part.
Making Connections: I'm interested in the flute voice concept Smith discussed.  I thought it was interesting that he said that Bb is the highest that you can bring your full voice to.  I can tell that I have never really accessed the flute voice, but I have never felt truly comfortable above Bb.  Something to be working for!

No comments:

Post a Comment