Sunday, October 27, 2013

Mariah SS 8

Mariah SS 8
Chapter Summary: The wobble is an invention to help the singer give up control and free their voice. The wobble helps loosen the vocal folds and increase their flexibility. It also helps with free-flowing air because a singer cannot do the exercise without having free-flowing air.  "Without total flexibility and freedom in the cords, we get a surge of air every time we try to sing high, and the rhythm becomes uneven." Smith emphasizes that phonation should feel passive. We need to let our airflow carry the sound and stop trying to control it.
Key Concepts: The wobble allows for loose and flexible vocal folds which helps the concept of free-flowing air.
Key Terms: the wobble, flexibility, fioratura passages
Making Connections: Sometimes I have that extra surge of air Smith talks about when I'm trying to go high, so I thought it was interesting that having more flexible and free cords could help with that. I also need to work on having my sound feel more passive and work more for free-flowing air instead of controlling my singing so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment