The Naked Voice: Chapter 8
Emily Cottam
Chapter Summary: “Using that term [wobble] helps conceptualize the sensation of total loss of control, which is, in fact, true freedom.” You must have flexibility and vulnerability. The size of the fourth interval is critical because it’s wide enough to prevent stiffness in the cords but small enough that it doesn’t strain when reaching higher pitches. “Allowing these cartilages to rock... feels like giving up control of the voice, literally allowing it to wobble.” Do the wobble in strict rhythm. Maintain steady/free airflow. Airflow is active, phonation is passive in this invention (where as before, it’s the other way around).
Key Concepts: The wobble exercise helps to facilitate a complete flexible and free voice with the help of steady breathflow. Phonation is passive in this invention.
Key Terms: Wobble, flexibility, fioratura
Making Connections: I think it’s interesting how Smith flips back and forth between the two extremes between phonation and breathflow--I like how he describes the wobble as an exercise to focus on flexibility. I have a tendency to want to control everything going on in my voice, and here, he says that I need to relinquish that, so it’ll be interesting to try this out in the practice room.
No comments:
Post a Comment