The Naked Voice: Chapter 7
Emily Cottam
Chapter Summary: “Spontaneous Combustion happens when we are poised--calm, collected, still, and ready... prepared with the ideal conditions for a spontaneous action to occur.” Smith suggests using a gentle glottal onset to sound to train oneself to start a pitch immediately with a balanced, chiaroscuro sound. It’s difficult to end badly when you start well. Avoid being too rhythmic to maintain spontaneous feel. [a] is such a sensitive vowel, so it’s good to help maintain quality. We want the vocal folds to touch, not press. This invention helps with sensation feedback, working on troublesome vowels and being able to isolate it and work on it, and mastering staccato. A healthy release is by inhaling to stop phonation. Lead into this with a very quick decrescendo, keeping air flowing.
Key Concepts: Spontaneous combustion focuses on creating a well-balanced onset to a pitch. Healthy release of a pitch is made through a gesture of inhalation after a quick decrescendo.
Key Terms: Spontaneous Combustion vs. impromptu, onset vs. attack, poise,
Making Connections: Brianna is always telling me to end a pitch on the gesture of the inhale, and I think reading this passage helped me to make more sense of what I need to do--I’m going to try the steps described by Smith and try to maintain consistent breathflow while I do it.
No comments:
Post a Comment