Friday, October 25, 2013

Sarah Boucher Lesson Summary 10/25

Sarah Boucher Lesson Summary 10/25

It was another great lesson with Laurie! Today I came prepared to pass off three of my songs. I wanted to get them passed off early so that I didn't have to do all seven next week. We started by passing off the speaking. Next Laurie warmed me up a bit. I told her about the discovery I made with Jared about my tongue trying to create the vibrato. We discussed that a bit and decided that all my problems pretty much come down to constriction. When I constrict in the throat my breath can't release, my jaw tenses and my tongue tries to do all the work. This realization will help me to really focus on keeping my larynx low. I have noticed that dropping my jaw and creating more molar space really helps me to not constrict so I just have to be even more diligent with that in my practice. She had reach my tongue to my top lip and sing. This made it so the tongue could not try to manipulate my sound at all and forced me to open my throat and create molar space. It is not something she encourages all the time because it makes the jaw a bit tense but in small chunks it is really useful. I sang my 3 pieces for her and we looked at the second de Falla piece for a minute or two. Then, I sang one of my Schumann pieces and Laurie really helped me to create more space by not constricting as soon as I inhale. We did different sections and tried to find that free open space. All I had to do was think more molar space and it helped to relieve the throat constriction, free up my sound and help my tongue not be involved. I actually liked how it sounded and felt in my body once she helped me stop constricting.

Next week is memory check so my assignment for this week is to be ready for that! Also I am just going to be hyper aware of constriction and stop singing the moment I feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment