Saturday, October 26, 2013

Emily F. SS 9

Emily F. SS 9: The ideal for a singer is to be able to move efficiently and easily throughout the range, without obvious or hindering register shifts. The "Getting High" invention is an exercise to help with smoothing out transitions throughout the voice. "It assumes a high level of clean phonation, free-flowing air, tonal balance, spontaneity, and flexibility." We can think of our voices having hundreds of gears and letting it shift through those gears freely, without making a shift. 
Key concept: The classical voice should be agile and strong enough to sing throughout the range cleanly.
Key terms: automatic transmission, gears, messa di voce, register shift
Making connections: Laurie does a lot of this type of exercise with me. It is very satisfying to be able to sing high, with agility. In my lessons I am able to get above a high C with ease and connection, and it feels great. However, I don't know how to apply this to singing songs. Just like with some of the other exercises, I think as soon as I have words, meaning, a melody and rhythm, I revert to my  weird habits that I've created for myself. As I practiced this particular exercise, I did notice shifting of my jaw and tongue to allow for changes in pitch. That would be what I'd need to work on when I do these exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment