Saturday, October 26, 2013

Elizabeth Tait SS Ch.8 Summary

Summary: The purpose of the 5th invention, The Wobble, is to "develop flexibility with airflow."  This flexibility allows us to jump quickly between ranges without a overadduction, or squeezing, of the folds.  The folds stretch longer and thinner for high notes, and they are released and become shorter for lower pitches.  None of this involves squeezing the arytenoids together, which many singer unfortunately do.  The exercise Smith suggests is quickly alternating between pitches a fourth apart on [a].  The fourth is a good interval to use because you can't fake it:  if your vocal cords aren't flabby and free, the higher pitch won't come out.   
Key Terms
flabby
flexible
fioratura
Key Concepts: All singers can accomplish fioratura passages if they can allow airflow to be active and phonation to be passive.
Making Connections: I can relate to the lack of control Smith talked about in this chapter.  When my best singing happens, I feel that I might fly out of control at any moment.  Too bad that doesn't happen so often!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment