Saturday, October 26, 2013

Elizabeth Tait SS Ch. 6 Summary

Summary: "Singing, like life, is a struggle to find balance.  Just as a pendulum swings back and forth to the extreme sides, its natural course is to finally settle in the balanced middle."  I love Stephen Smith!  The 3rd invention is about balancing both chiaro and oscuro.  They are not mutually exclusive, although at the beginning they need to taught separately.  More of one or the other is not a good thing, but a balance of both is what creates a healthy voice.  An arpeggio in [ni ne na no nu] is a good exercise to bring both chiaro and oscuro into the voice. 
Key Terms:
pendulum effect
Key Concepts: We have to swing back and forth between chiaro and oscuro as we train our voices until we reach a perfect balance.
Making Connections: I have felt that pendulum effect in my own training.  I used to get frustrated, because one week Cindy would be telling me one technique, and the next week she would seemingly contradict herself.  However, I now understand that I was really just experiencing the pendulum effect in action. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment