Saturday, October 26, 2013

Amber's video

Okay, so I tried several times to get a video that didn't have the sound "splatting" against the mic. This one has my son standing across the room to take it.
Like, wow...... I had no idea how loud I was. I've been pushing all this time for nothing. :p

Saturday morning in my P.J.'s. I am still sick. 
I decided to do this straight on without accompaniment so that I could hear everything that's going on in my voice when not at full health.
I am rather pleasantly surprised at what's coming out considering that I had no vocal phonation whatsoever three days ago.
Also I am feeling pretty smug that even with a bad cold and asthma, I didn't really feel like I was going to run out of air.The exercises from voice lessons are starting to really pay off. I acknowledge though that I need to keep going on the breathing skills though.
I am up on one toe again as I am just wearing flip flops and not the usual prosthetic lift to hide the two inch length difference in my legs.
Expression?........... It will come. I am sick.... I feel like craaaaaaaaap. Also, I am battling nerves from quite a different source than anyone would expect.
 I grew up in a home where I was not allowed to speak much above a whisper and was even beaten once for sighing too loud. I purposely made myself do this recording at home where I feel the least safe to make a noise to see how far I have gotten with this issue. I have been working up the courage to do the video all this time. I am determined to get past this emotional barrier and take my life back. I am so grateful to my husband, brother and kids who have been encouraging me and helping me to feel safe to sing whenever I want, wherever I want.
I may not be emoting much, but I am able to really focus on the music and produce a decent-ish sound and for once I am not flinching. YAY! I could not do that six months ago in this setting.

3 comments:

  1. Bric Slade: you sound great. The air is loose for the most part. The Ah vowels are a little tight. Some parts sounded a little pushy. Breathing is nice and full but needs to be smoother. Breathing on the gesture of inhalation will help with it. The diction is great. The expression I feel could be better but I understand this is more of a practice video and less of a performance video, still I thought I would mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very surprised and quite pleased by your ability to produce such a clear sound through all of your sickness. However, I felt like you were often pushing the sound. Especially when your vocal cords are probably swollen already, it's not the most healthy practice technique. I think you had a lot less nerves in your pj's in your house than I have ever seen at school, which really helped me enjoy the performance more. You need to be proud of yourself!! You work very hard and don't let your own self get in the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Bric and Taylee's comments. Your sound is impressive considering your health. The voice sounds pushed in some areas. You may have felt sufficient air supply because you were in a resigned state from being so sick. That could've actually helped your cause. One thing I want to really stress with the video is diction. I feel like a lot of times your voice can sound swallowed up if your diction is not very crisp and clear. That is my biggest complaint. Otherwise, really nice work.

    ReplyDelete