Sunday, October 27, 2013

Mariah SS 7

Chapter Summary: When singing, we need to start each note immediately with a balanced sound. If we don't start the beginning of a phrase correctly, it is harder to sing the rest of the phrase with a good balance between chiaro and oscuro. Smith likes the word onset more than attack because singers can tend to force their vocal folds together instead of simply letting them touch. Smith also likes the vowel [a] because we cannot keep this vowel if we tighten up like we can with other vowels. Therefore, singing all vowels with our jaw in the [a] position allows us to have more freedom as well. We need to be prepared before we sing so that we can begin singing correctly right away. Singers also need to be careful to not cut off at the end of a sound but gently release it.
Key Concepts: Singers need to be prepared and begin singing correctly from the first moment. Singers need to release easily instead of cutting off.
Key Terms: spontaneous combustion, onset, poise, release
Making Connections: I need to work on being more prepared mentally and physically before I sing. Sometimes I just start singing without really thinking about it beforehand. I need to be prepared and try to start singing well from the very beginning. I also need to work on releasing my sound more gently and not forcing my vocal folds to open.

No comments:

Post a Comment