Friday, January 17, 2014

Elizabeth T Gavin N Lesson Plan 1.17.14

Since I felt very unprepared in my last lesson, I decided to really specify what I was going to do in this next lesson.  The specific problems I noticed last week were:
- bringing weight up with him on higher notes
- moving his head and body to access different pitches
- harsh and heavy onset
So I decided to do some gentle posture, breathing, and eliciting pitch exercises at this lesson, to get a good baseline on improving some of the above mentioned problems:

1. I'll have him lie on the floor with his knees bent and arms above his head.  This postural exercise I'll try to extend to 2-3 minutes, so he can get accustomed to how it feels.  Once he stands up from this position, I intend on talking about dangling his head above his body, and pulling his sternum up with a string.  We might also try to back against the door exercise.

2. Breathing exercises will be next.  I'm just going to have him breathing in and out, as I gently instruct on how the ribs and back expand, and stomach naturally moving forward.  Then we'll do the Oren Brown exercise where he sniffs in a certain number of counts, and then breaths out the same number of counts.

3. Now I'm going to try some Naked Voice activities.  First, [ni ne na no nu] speech like and vernacular.  Then the same thing, but projecting to a person in the other room.  Then add line, and then add pitch.  I'll probably start him on Eb3....

4. Now time for some falsetto-y sighs, which then transition to a descending 5 note scale on [ni ne na no nu] 

I hope to be able to free up his falsetto-y range, while also adding weight to his sound through speech like activities. 

So here goes nothing....
  

No comments:

Post a Comment