Summary: Brown has worked for several years as a voice therapist. In his experience, vocal therapy is about replacing unhealthy habits with healthy ones, and "is often a question of opposites." The most common types of vocal problems are functional disorders, disorders resulting from misuse. Two types of functional disorders are hyperfunction (over singing or pushing the voice), and hypofunction (undersinging or pinching and holding back). Both can lead to vocal pathologies such as chronic laryngitis, which in turn can lead to edema, polyps, and nodules. Treatment for any of these pathologies should be accompanied by voice therapy to correct the poor vocal habits, otherwise they will likely come back. Just as every voice is unique, treatment is different for every individual. Recovery takes dedication and self-control, but any singer can recover if they are committed to doing so. Our voices are affected by everyday experiences such as traveling, menstruation, pregnancy, smoking, allergies, alcohol, and prescription drugs. In all cases, be aware of what's going on with your voice. Consult a doctor or a vocal health specialist if you have concerns.
Key Concepts: Singing based on the primal sound, authentic singing in other words, is the best way to ensure a healthy sound. If you are pushing or pinching or compensating in any way, serious damage can be done to the vocal folds. Those who depend on their voice for their livelihood need to take precautions that others may not have to consider. We need to be aware of what we're doing to our bodies and the effect these things have on our voices.
Making Connections: This chapter is scary and reassuring all at once. I feel like there are so many ways to ruin your voice - it's so delicate. At the same time, hearing stories of those who have recovered from serious vocal pathologies is very encouraging. I feel that if they can do that, then I can have the self-control and awareness to stay healthy too. There were some things in there that I had never thought about. I'm glad he addressed issues of climate, as we all know Utah is very dry. I will be using a humidifier more often from now on! I also appreciated his comments about menstruation, alcohol, and prescriptions. This is all important stuff that I hadn't really thought about. Good chapter!
No comments:
Post a Comment