Laura B
Chapter Summary: Many of us at one time or another experience vocal malfunction. There are two types of malfunctions: hyperfunction (doing too much) and hypofuntion (doing too little). Using the voice in these ways can result in possible further conditions, for example Laryngitis, polyps or nodules, cord paralysis, etc. Most of these conditions can be cured through seeking a consolation from a certified vocal clinician, vocal rest, and then meeting with a voice therapist to change the bad habits that resulted in the condition. Coming back to full health my take time, but with self-discipline and care, it is possible. There are many ways that we can strive to keep a healthy voice on a daily basis. Some of these ways are abstaining from smoking, strive to stay in areas with humidity, staying hydrated, being knowledgeable of menstrual adjustments, taking in little or no alcohol and caffeine, being careful with prescriptive drugs, and many other considerations.
Key Concept: "Treatment seeks to eliminate the malfunction and replace it with healthy phonation. It is often a question of opposites."
Key Terms: hyperfunction & hypofunction, malfunction, chronic laryngitis, edema, polyps, nodules, dysphonia plicae ventricularis, contact granuloma/ulcers, myasthenia larynges, unilateral & bilateral cord paralysis, ruptured vocal folds, tonsillectomy, deviated spectrum, nasality, hoarseness, mucosa
Making Connections: I loved how comprehensive this chapter is and it made me more aware of what I can be doing to take better care of my voice. I often forget to take care of myself when I get really busy with school and the things that happen in life. But not matter what's going on in my life, I should always strive to do healthy vocalization, get enough sleep, and drink plenty of water daily.
No comments:
Post a Comment