Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Sarah Brenay - OB - Ch. 19

Summary: Due to the connection between the larynx and the medulla oblongata, the emotional state of the singer is directly connected to their voice. Mental and emotional hang ups can be detrimental to a vocalists progress. Stress and illness can also be a seriously harmful factor. As actors, singers must be capable of expressing powerful emotion; however, a singer needs to keep distance from the emotions they are expressing in performance. The audience wants to be moved to tears, they don't want to watch somebody cry. Insecurities are common problems for singers, often resulting in severe stage fright. Many need constant reassurance. If a student is experiencing psychological distress that is interfering with their progress and their health, refer them to a trained therapist.
Key Concepts: Emotion directly affects singing. Psychological health equals vocal health (kind of). Relaxation and self confidence help singers balance the stress of a professional career.
Key Terms:
enigma - an obscure speech or writing; something hard to understand or explain; an inscrutable or mysterious person.
psychogenic - originating in the mind or in mental or emotional conflict.
Making Connections: I found that I could relate to most everything Brown mentioned in this chapter. I have definitely had to come to terms with emotional stressors in order to progress vocally. After watching that TED talk on stress, I had to disagree with what Brown said about the negative effects of stress. As we all know, stress is only detrimental to health if you believe it is. Those who see stress as a positive reaction are unaffected. Still, great chapter! I'm so glad I don't vomit when I get stage fright! Ugh can you imagine what that would do to your vocal cords? Bleh!

No comments:

Post a Comment