Chapter 5 Summary
Oren Brown:
Range in singing is
not something that is so cut and dry. Our range is a lot more based on
technique than we think. Labels can actually limit our voice. If we learn how
to use our voices properly. Hollein created a system that defines the voice in
four registers. Each register is in a different part of the voice, and is
defined by what muscles are used in the larynx. Register 2 employs the
Thyroarytenoid muscles, and Register 3 engages the cricothyroid muscles. The
cricothyroid muscles elongate the vocal folds, and make them
"thinner." A trained singer works on blending the registers from low
to high. Good singers vocalize everyday to keep the vocal muscles well
exercised.
Key Concept: A way
to understand how different parts of our voice works is through registers.
Learning how to train the transition between these registers will help us to
sing in the most healthy way possible.
Key Terms:
Registers 1,2,3,4
Making Connections:
The part that I liked the best was at the end of the chapter. I've thought
about my voice as being made of muscles and joints like the rest of my body…
But now that I know how much it does function like a "muscle" it
helps me to realize that I need to exercise it everyday like a muscle. Keeping
in mind that it has limits, so the most important thing I can do is use it
everyday and help it function in the right way.
No comments:
Post a Comment