Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Mariah OB 20

Mariah OB 20
Chapter Summary: Singers need to be aware of their speaking habits as well as their singing habits. If they have unhealthy speaking habits, their voice will take a great toll. If a singer is having voice problems, they should consult a physician or speech therapist who can correctly diagnose. Singers should be careful not to push aside any voice problems and work to fix them as early as possible. Tension, singing too loudly, pushing, unnatural breathing, and trying to accomplish something you're not ready for can all lead to hyperfunction in the voice. Not enough breath, breathiness, excessive breathing, and less power are signs of hypofunction. Polyps and nodules can negatively affect the voice, but the major problem is the habits that caused them in the first place. Many factors can affect the voice including pregnancy, smoking, medications, alcohol, trauma and allergies.
Key Concept: Healthy singing is when "you finish a performance feeling as though you could do it all over again."
Key Terms: hyperfunction, hypofunction, chronic laryngitis, edema, polyps, nodules
Making Connections: I need to be more aware of my speaking voice habits as well as my singing habits. I really need to be more careful with my voice and avoid hyperfunction. I need to be more gently and stop when I know I need to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment