Monday, December 9, 2013

Ben Shaw OB chapter 3 summary

Chapter summary: Topics in this chapter are twofold: posture, and breathing. Breathing affects voice production, which is affected by posture. Good posture makes possible good breathing, which makes possible healthy voice production. Therefore, good posture is important in healthy voice production, which is why, I suppose, Brown discusses this in a section of this book. He begins by stating that we as humans need to work for good posture because we evolved from four-legged species. Logical errors aside, his point is that good posture is harder to maintain as a humanoid than it is as a four-legged creature. Brown explains the muscles used in maintaining a good posture, including a diagram that illustrates the way in which one's skeletal structure lines up with good posture. The muscles that are active in this alignment are deep within the body. Because of this, visible tension is not a constructive part of good posture. On breathing, Brown discusses the muscles involved, such as the diaphragm. We discussed most of this during the first few weeks of class. Brown then gives exercises for breathing.
Key points: Having good posture affects good breathing, which affects voice production.
Key terms: complemental volume, tidal volume, supplemental volume, vital capacity, residual volume.
Making connections: I've noticed that in breathing, I tend to not maintain my sense of expansion, which affects my singing. I've found that breathing exercises 5 and 6 help me with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment