Laura B
Chapter Summary: There's a difference between inspiring and moving. In order to give a moving performance, we've got to get up and move ourselves! The best way to capture the sense of a piece of music and find more musical depth to it is to allow our bodies to freely move to the piece. We are born with an innate sense of moving to sounds and music. As we get older, we may begin to lose this innate sense due to the fact that it becomes a performance, making us self-conscious. If a person has a poor sense of rhythm, the author recommended that they try crawling. The stronger the person's cross-crawl pattern becomes, the stronger their sense of rhythm will also become. The author invites us all to take some time to listen to different pieces of music and to just allow ourselves to freely move to them. As we do this, we will begin to look at each piece of music in a way we never have before. We will begin to feel the differences in each piece of music. Through movement, our performances in turn will become much more moving.
Key Concept: "The music moves the listener. But first the music must move the mover - must move the performer.
Key Terms: Movement
Making Connections: I have recently felt a loss of soul and depth in my singing and have not been able to figure out why and what I can do to get that piece of myself back. I used to dance a lot more then I do now, and I'm beginning to realize that this might play a big part in my decline. I cannot wait to try the moving more to the music I am singing, as well as to all music.
No comments:
Post a Comment