Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Emily F. lesson 9/24
Emily F. lesson 9/24: I had been warming up in the morning before my lesson, but felt like I have the start of a tiny cold, so I felt not my best. I had finished two more song analyses and turned those in. We started with doing some more high register warm-ups, an inhaled K with an "ah" on 8-5-3-1. I was able to access some good resonant space. Something that I'm realizing lately is that I think my sound is covered and heavy a lot of the time because I haven't known how to get good tall resonance, but I don't want my voice to be weak and shallow. So I'm trying to learn how to have lots of space in the back, but with focus. I think I've tried to get a rich sound by pushing my tongue back. I'm not really sure. This is a new idea I'm working on. And ha! something funny, I have recordings of two of my songs (the only ones I could find of these) that I'm hating to listen to more and more. The singer has a similar sound to mine, but even more covered and strangled-sounding. I'm starting to see more and more that the sound that I think sounds lovely in my head is really muffled outside of my head. I'm having more experiences in lessons all the time to get the really good ringy feeling that is comfortable and effortless on my cords, and when I listen to it, it sounds SO much better. I want to be able to do that in performance. I sang through "Berceuse" different ways-- on "uh", on vowels alone, alternating speech and singing. For next week, I need to finish my last two song analyses. I have two of my six new songs almost memorized, so I need to work on memorization for my other four songs. I'm feeling down today, after lesson and masterclass, so my personal goal is to find some joy in singing this week and find improvements that I've made.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment