Sarah Brenay - SOHH ch. 3
Summary: This chapter describes experiments the reader can do to reconnect with their bodies. She claims that every person can dance, that moving the body rhythmically is instinctive for all infants, even before birth. Listening to music and allowing your body to react naturally, and moving intuitively with the music may seem like a crazy idea, but has allowed Eloise's students to get in touch with the music and become more expressive, energetic performers. As she points out, "The music moves the listener. But first it must move the mover." We cannot expect our audiences to discover our music with us if we are not rediscovering and experiencing it as we perform.
Key Concepts: Music is a whole body experience; we must be in touch with our bodies to feel and convey the full meaning of the music.
Key Terms:
programming - allowing your brain to take over the music instead of rediscovering it
itchy feet - the suppressed desire to dance
Making Connections: I really want to try this dancing thing! If there are others who are game, we should get a little dancing group experiment going. That sounds incredibly fun. I think it would help me connect with the music and not look stiff and awkward when I perform. (Also, I've never been so proud to be a cross-crawler.)
No comments:
Post a Comment